Sunday, February 1, 2009

New & (hopefully) Improved


ON STAGE
I recently updated my online photo portfolio with several more recent pix. The portfolio now includes 101 pix, with samples to reflect various styles of photography -- weddings, portraits, sports, floral, candid, etc. PLEASE click on any photo in this post to get a closer view, then press backspace to return to the post. This post displays 5 of the photos from the portfolio, with some background info. A link to the full portfolio is included at the conclusion of the post. The photo above includes members of the cast and crew of "Lorna's Love Lost," a melodrama performed by Theatre San Jacinto College in the fall of 2008. In this post, I will include technical specs of the photos (just because I like this sort of info, and for the edification of any photographers who might view this blog). Tech specs for this pic: Nikon D700 & Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 lens (shot at 30mm); ISO 500; available light (no flash); 250 shutter speed & 5.6 f-stop; manual mode.

NEW LIFE
The next pic is perhaps my favorite "Nature" photo. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time -- roaming around Tex & Earline's farm near Bellville, just looking for anything that might lend itself to be photographed. A newly-hatched little grasshopper (about the size of the tip of your little finger) just happened to hop onto a Marigold flower that was in the budding stage. Fortunately, I was rigged out for macro photography at the time, otherwise I would have missed the shot entirely. One thing I find interesting about this photo -- the juxtaposition of 2 opposite forces of nature: the Marigold bud (representing the positive, creative forces of nature; and the grasshopper, representing the negative, destructive forces of nature). Tech specs -- Nikon D70 & Phoenix 100mm Macro lens; ISO 400; aperture mode; 60 sutter speed & 22 f-stop; light provided by 2 sources: 1 SB600 Speedlight firing remotely off camera (behind and to the right of the insect), and light from the pop-up, built-in flash (which also acted as a trigger for the SB600). Light from the SB600 was modified by a small Lumniquest softbox.

CUTE KID
The next pic is one of my favorite children photos (I've got thousands of them). The photo was simply a case of serendipity -- it was totally unplanned and candid. I was on a freelance assignment as the event photographer for the 25th anniversary celebration of a local pastor. I was darting from place to place, trying to get the best angles for chronicling the event. As I was walking through a hallway, I spied a young lady holding this precious little boy. I slammed on the brakes and said: "Would it be OK if I take a photo of him. He is just adorable." She said: "Sure, fine, go right ahead." This boy has what I believe is about the closest thing to a perfect complexion. For enhancement, in post-processing I added a vignette effect, and I also added a slight Gaussian blur mask, just to give it a touch of softness. TECH SPECS -- Nikon D700 & a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens shooting at 85mm in manual mode; 100 shutter speed & f/4.5; ISO 5000; shooting available light (no flash).

ON THE BEACH
The next photo was taken on the beach at Marco Island, Florida. I was on a freelance assignment as the event photographer for the fall convention of Wealth Masters International. It was the first time I've ever had to take a large group photo, and I'm here to tell you, it's no easy task. If you think it is, just try rounding up 250 people for a photo and you will see what I mean. I intentionally placed the group in this position for a planned effect. I wanted to capture not only the ocean, but also something of the surroundings -- the white sands, beach activities, the vibrant blue sky, plush resort facilities -- as a way of giving the group something to remember the area. TECH SPECS -- Nikon D700 & a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 lens shooting at 17mm in Program mode; 400 shutter speed & f/10; ISO 100; available light.

MAKING A SPLASH
The final photo in this post features a student in San Jacinto College's firefighter technology program going through the paces during some rigorous training exercises. I had a blast on this photo assignment, even though I got soaking wet. This particular photo was winner of the 2007 National Council of Marketing & Public Relations Medallion Award in the Visual Arts-Color Photography category. Tech Specs -- Nikon D70 & a Nikon 18-135 DX f/3.5-5.6 lens shooting at 135mm in Program mode; 800 shutter speed & f/7.1; ISO 200; available light.

Here's the link to see the complete photo gallery --
Portfolio

1 comment:

aA said...

Title of the last shot should be, "And now let us spray"...

Great shotz, great descriptions! You oughta be a writer or a photographer or something!