Friday, November 7, 2008

What is it?

Abstract art (noun) -- def. Art that does not attempt to represent external, recognizable reality but seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, forms, colors, and textures.

Walked past an abstract steel sculpture in a park near Downtown Houston, and I noticed that as I looked at the object from different perspectives it called different things to my mind, which is probably what the artist had in mind when he created the work. For example, in the first photo the object resembles a large pistol, or perhaps a rifle being aimed toward the sky. (At least that's what it resembles to me. It may look like something entirely different to you).

To me, the second photo resembles Gumby, the bendable little toy that's been around since the 1950s.

The third photo resembles a rocket ship that's about to blast off from the earth.

The fourth photo (to me) looks sort of like a big dog sitting on its haunches with his nose pointing up in the air.

The fifth photo (to me) sort of resembles a pterodactyl, one of those very odd flying dinosaurs. Speaking of the word "pterodactyl," bet you that's one word that eliminates a lot of contestants in spelling bees around the world.

In the sixth and final photo of this post, there is a person jogging on the trail near the steel sculpture.

There are parallels between the artwork and the human. In some ways a human is sort of like an abstract work of art.

We are ever changing. We can be many things to many different people, manifesting all sorts of traits that depend on what perspective others use when they examine us.

I continually discover different qualities and characteristics in people around me and it all depends on my own perspective.

So, I'm calling an end to this little dive into art appreciation and philosophical rambling because all of this heavy thinking is giving me a headache.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again!

No comments: