Friday, June 20, 2008

What is it?


What is in the photo? Can you tell at first glance?

If you guessed a cell phone, then you would be correct. It is a dis-assembled cell phone and it's placed inside of a sealed jar of rice.

Huh?

Let me explain.

Like most women, my wife Sandy loves her cell phone and she keeps it with her at all times. During a recent heavy thunderstorm, she rushed from the car to her office and in the process did not realize she had dropped her phone right beside her car in the parking lot.

The phone stayed in the parking lot for a couple of hours, getting fairly wet from the rain. For a while it was dead. Then after the phone began to dry out, the service began to return, sporadic at first and then a little better over time. But some features, such as the phone's ring tone, were not working.

She told her sister Janeen about dropping the phone and how it got wet. Janeen told her that sealing the phone with rice was supposed to help in the drying-out process. So, that's the way the phone came to be sealed up in a jar of rice.

And after an overnight stay in the Rice Hotel, her phone was back to normal with all features working. So, if you ever get your cell phone wet, I recommend trying the rice treatment.

P.S.
I cooked and ate the rice used to dry out Sandy's cell phone and was amazed at the distinctly flavorful taste. I think it was caused by all the spicy gossip the rice absorbed during the drying-out process.

2 comments:

the photoSmith said...

Hahaha! Funny stuff. At first I thought your artistic side was coming out and you were gettin all artsy on us. I glad to know my cell phone can survive water as long as I have a mason jar and some rice!

aA said...

"...an overnight stay in the Rice Hotel..."

That's an awesome reference only the old-time Houston geezers will get.

I love it.

Great tip, too.