Friday, May 30, 2008

Talent Pool (featuring The 3 Drips)




Talk about talent ...

In our Marketing office we have three guys who possess the rare ability to make a very realistic "drip" sound.

I kid you not. aAron, Kyle and Rob have mastered this highly-coveted skill. Anyone of The 3 Drips can make a drip sound so realistic that, if a stranger were to hear the sound and was unaware of the origin, then he (or she) would swear that the sound was the result of a leaky roof.

On any given day in our office and at any give time, any one of The 3 Drips might snap off a loud drip sound, just to sort of provide a pleasant background noise.

I (meaning Rob) began perfecting the fine art of "dripping" in elementary school. Most of my teachers really got on to me whenever I would make the sounds during quiet times (such as assigned reading periods). Never could understand why they could not appreciate a little background enhancement sound effect.

aArron is also highly gifted in making other very cool sound effects. You really ought to hear him thump his throat. (I also sometimes call aArron just "AA" or "Double A" because he is long and thin, sort of like a AA battery. Well, he is tall, but the word "thin" might be a little less than accurate, but hey, we are Marketing and our job is to make things look good).

You also ought to see AA fool people with his fake slamming-a-door-in-his-face move. He is so slick with it that the first time I saw him pull it off, I actually thought he had really hurt himself.

Double A's self-assigned nickname is "Geezer" (coz he ain't no spring chicken anymore) and he claims he can also pull off a really convincing falling-down-the-stairs stunt. I keep trying to get him to try it on the stairs here at the District Office, but he keeps putting me off, using his age factor as an excuse. aA also boldly claims he has at one point in time "fallen UP a staircase." Such a stunt seems scientifically impossible and I have told him so (more than once). Yet, he insists he has done it and even claims there were eyewitnesses to the feat. And I still say: "I will believe it when I see it." (Falling up a staircase ... puh-leeeeeze).

Kyle (aka Karl) is also gifted in regards to making other way cool sound effects. He's a very talented percussionist (plays drums at his church) and you ought to hear the sounds he can get out of his desk, laptop and other surfaces in his cubicle. I sit right next to him and I get to hear these rhythmic sounds all day long. The tapping sounds might get on the nerves of other people, but I'm also a percussionist (prosumer level) who also has an uncontrollable "tapping" habit, so I can relate.

Rob also has other very impressive talents, such as the crafting of paper airplanes. He can also blow spit bubbles, which is a rare inherent talent that cannot be taught. These bubbles resemble the kind of bubbles you can produce with those bubble-blowing kits you can get in the toy department.

He got in trouble in the 4th grade when he was standing in line, waiting to have a spelling assignment graded by the teacher. He crafted a very large spit bubble and launched it into the air. The bubble gracefully landed on the eraser of the teacher's red pencil. The teacher studied the bubble and asked (in a very threatening tone of voice): "Is that bubble saliva?" and wanted to know who blew it. Several of Rob's friends looked at him and started laughing (which was a dead give-away). The teacher's report led to a sound spanking from dad.

Which shows to go you that some people just do not appreciate real talent, but I hope you do.

2 comments:

aA said...

I feel special to be included in the Pool.

I think the Pool needs cleaning...

Rob V. said...

There's a lot of waste in the Talent Pool, but the bottom feeders work hard to keep it clean. Sometimes I think the Lifegaurd on Duty in the Talent Pool is asleep on the job.